I've been loving Spring lately! All the blooms, flowers, sunshine and warmer weather. I've been getting outside every chance I get. My allergies hate it, but I am powering through my itchy eyes and sniffles to enjoy these moments. I've never been a huge fan of Spring (personally, I'm a Fall Fan Girl), but there is something about it this year that just makes me happy. I'm going with it.
Another reason I am adoring this time of year is all the green veggies that are popping up in the market right now. It all feels so refreshing. And I think we all need a little something refreshing these days, huh? Enter...this pesto.
This recipe is an older one of mine, but I revamped it a bit to share with you today. Pesto is one of my favorite spring recipes and condiments. This stuff goes so well with a plethora of goods. You can swirl it into your pasta (or zoodles), top your avocado toast with it, add some to scrambled eggs, grilled chicken or fish even. This version is cheese free, which makes it vegan and Whole30 friendly. It also freezes really well in the event you don't use it all up.
So let's do this spring thing, with all the green stuff!
Spicy Arugula Walnut Pesto
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 cup basil
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 lemon, zested a juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- In a skillet over medium heat, toast the walnuts until fragrant, stirring as you go to ensue even toasting. Keep an eye on these as they can burn quickly. This should take about 5-10 minutes.
- In a food processor, add the garlic and salt and process to chop up.
- Add the walnuts, basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes, process on high to blend well. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add the arugula and drizzle in the olive oil until smooth. Add more olive oil as needed depending on the consistency you prefer. Add more salt if needed to taste.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 14 days. Longer than that, throw it in the freezer.