You guys, you guys, you guys...it is finally soup season!! I honestly think our hot days are behind us here in the Bay Area and we might even have RAIN this weekend. The forecast looks promising for some wet weather, but I seriously will believe it when I see it. Either way, I'm gettin' prepared! The bourbon is brushed off for some toddy's, the movies are being picked out for some quality couch time and my oven has been turned ON. And soup! I'm so happy to have soup! Even this week at work I heard a comment, "what, no salad?" NOPE - its SOUP TIME! I also might be writing this three espresso shots in, so excitement is on overload. Real talk.
I know weather talk is so lame, but I can't help it! It is real life and it is not political....
And so many things happen when the weather shifts. We dress different, we eat different foods among many other things (like wanting to put my pj's on at 5:30pm). The air gets super crispy in the morning and evening and we all want to bundle up! Seriously, I went out to grill some chicken last night and it was dark and chilly around 6:30pm - like what? When the heck did this happen? I had to grab a hoodie! But we gotta roll with it, because it is all here. Mid-October in full effect.
So now I'll probably be transitioning my grilling and will start to roar up my roasting game. Roasted veggies are everything in my house. It is how I got Chris to love (and now request) broccoli. (that's me winnnning!) I still haven't converted him to loving root veggies. I am on a mission, but haven't still working hard. That's totally ok though for right now, because more for me. And this soup is ALL MINE for the next week. This soup and bourbon toddy's. Yas!
Coconut Curried Carrot Soup
- 1 1/2-2lbs of carrots*, roasted
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of light coconut milk
- 3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional - but yummy if you like a little spicy kick)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- toasted pepitas to top**
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and prepare you carrots to roast. Cut the tops and ends off the carrots. Scrub to make sure you get all the dirt off (or peel if that's your thing). Chop carrots into about 2 inch chunks and down the middle to ensure even roasting
- Peel the onion and chop coarsely. Peel two cloves of garlic
- Coat carrots, onion, and garlic with about 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and spread evenly onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes, tossing half way through
- One the carrots are done, let them cool a bit, maybe 15 minutes
- Then add everything, the carrots, garlic, onion, spices, coconut milk, the broth, to a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt if needed. This makes a thick soup, so if you like it a little thinner, add more broth
- Top with toasted pepitas, maybe some plain yogurt, even some toasted coconut and enjoy!
*I bet this would be good with other roasted root veggies, maybe butternut squash, kabocha like this soup or acorn even!
**to toast pepitas, heat a dry skillet of medium heat, add the pepitas and cook for about 10 minutes, until they are toasted, begin to brown and become fragrant.
Who else is getting into the soup season?!?