Not having air condition can be a problem sometimes. Typically its not a big, big deal, but there are always a few times during the year where I can't function because it is so damn hot. During those days, I hate, I mean HATE, turning the oven on. I pretty much refuse to turn it on actually. Even using burners are painful because they give off a fair amount of heat. This presents a major problem for me since being in the kitchen is my happy place.
My solution: THE GRILL!! I try and stick anything and every thing on that bad boy when the temperatures go up. I'm talking meats, veggies, fruit, even bread (because grilled bread is amazing by the way).
This go around, I tried my hand at grilled radishes! I always felt like radishes had more potential then in my salad. They almost turn potato-y when they get all hot and charred. Delish.
I tossed them in a little olive oil, garlic, and rosemary mixture and seasoned them up with salt and pep.
Little jewels here just waiting for the grill to get hot.
I let them cook about 7-10 minutes on a medium heat, then tossed them around a bit.
Let them cook a little more, maybe 5-7 minutes and your done.
Toss them in a little arugula and fresh, chopped mint and you've got a lovely summer side dish. I added some chicken sausage and lemony brown rice to make is a full on feast.
Grilled Radishes with Arugula, Mint, & a Greek Yogurt Dressing
Toss these little jewels with rosemary and garlic and grill them up for an easy side dish!
- 1 bushel radish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove, minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon, chopped rosemary
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup, chopped mint
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pre-heat a grill over medium heat.
- In a small bowl or ramekin, combine olive oil, minced garlic, and chopped rosemary. Set aside.
- Prepare the radishes but cutting off the greens and washing them thoroughly.
- Half or quarter each radish, depending on the size
- Combine radishes with 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil mixture and toss so they are all coated.
- Cook the radishes in a grill pan or over a piece of foil for about 7-10 minutes depending on how hot your grill gets. Let them sit there so they get a little brown and caramelized, then toss them and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Combine arugula and mint and once the radishes are cooked, toss to combine.
- To make the dressing, combine the yogurt, lemon, and remaining olive oil mixture and stir until it is all incorporated. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle on top.