A while back I posted my coconut popcorn, which has become a staple in the house and it is husband approved. Friend approved. And me approved.
Approved all around.
This is coconut popcorn all jazzed up.
Most of the time, when I am making a batch of popcorn, I just make a little extra so I can make this trail mix for the week.
Also, popcorn salt. Not necessary, but so necessary.
Any way, this is a perfect sweet and salty snack when you get those stupid 3:00PM sluggies.
(Sluggie = acting effectively like a slug because you are so out of energy).
Coconut Popcorn Trail Mix
This slightly addicting sweet and salty healthy snack will help get you through the day.
- 2 tablespoons popcorn kernals
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup dried, unsweetened coconut chips, toasted
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted cashews
- 2 tablespoons roasted, salted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Start by toasting your coconut. Add the coconut to a skillet on medium heat. Toast coconut until golden brown and stir to cook evenly. Watch closely as this can burn quickly.
2. Next, make your popcorn. I use an air popper, but you can use the stove top method as well. Once it is popped and hot, add the melted coconut oil and coat thoroughly. Use your hands if needed and salt generously to taste.
3. Let the popcorn cool for 5-10 minutes then add the apricots, cashews, sunflower seeds, and chocolate.
4. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 10 mins Total time: 15 mins Yield: 4 servings
If you don't like apricots, go ahead and switch them out with whatever dried fruit you desire. Same with the seeds. Make it own and enjoy!